Don’t fall for a scam this Christmas

Residents in the district are being reminded to only use approved waste carriers when disposing of any unwanted items this Christmas.

East Hampshire District Council is asking residents to help prevent fly-tipping by not using unlicensed waste collectors and to always follow the SCRAP code when hiring someone to take away their rubbish.

santa scamAuthorised and genuine firms, operating legally, will hold a waste carriers’ licence and be registered with the Environment Agency.  Residents can check that registration online at or by calling the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506.

SCRAP CODE: Make the following checks when hiring anyone to take away your rubbish: Suspect – beware of rogue waste carriers and only use a registered waste carrier. If the price sounds too cheap it probably is!
Check – Ask to see their waste carrier registration details and verify them by checking the online register or by calling the Environment Agency. Note down the registration number of the vehicle used to take your waste away.
Refuse – Do not use anyone who has cold called you. Always carry out your own research and choose who you wish to use.
Ask – Always ask what exactly is going to happen to your rubbish and seek evidence that it is going to be disposed of appropriately. A legitimate, professional waste carrier who wants your business should not object to being asked reasonable questions.
Paperwork – Obtain a receipt/transfer note with the vehicle registration details, description of the waste taken, the name of the person/company and the amount you paid. 

There are many options available to dispose of any unwanted items, these include: charity shops and deposit bins (do not leave outside the shop or on the floor, as this is regarded as fly tipping), selling on local buy and sell pages or passing onto family and friends. 

If none of these options are suitable for the items you wish to dispose of the council operate a bulky waste collection service. More information about this service can be found at or by calling Customer Services on 01730 234295. 

You can also dispose of some items for free at Hampshire County Council’s Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs).  Full details on what these centres accept, and how to book your visit can be found at

Similar Posts